Spell creation tutorial?

Help - Resources - AI Scripting - Grafting - Plugins - Modding Projects
The Watcher

Spell creation tutorial?

Postby The Watcher » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:41 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm new to modding and starting to learn my way around the software and methods, but one thing I want to do that I don't even know where to start is making new abilities for my units. I tried searching the forums here and at campaigncreations, as well as searching for tutorials on google, but haven't had any luck. Can anyone direct me to a tutorial they know of? If it helps, I'm using PyMS v1.2.1. Thanks in advance!
Derqua

Postby Derqua » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:57 pm

Well first of your going to want to get Dat Edit and FireGraft.
Unofficial FireGraft 1.16.1
DatEdit
Dat Edit, because PyDat is a little troublesome at times.
FireGraft, because it lets you change button sets, which is the heart of your question.

To add abilities to a unit open up Firegraft.
Your going to need to select your 1.16.1 Starcraft.exe.
Save as - "Name of Mod" - Save
Open Button Set tab.
Go to the unit you wish to add the ability.
Select a button from the list, right click, click add item.
The number you enter is where you want the ability to go:
in that order.
Change the side drop downs so that your button has the appearence you want.
Now go to dat requirements.
Go to the use tech area.
Find your tech and change the requirements to include your unit.
Image.

I just made the Dark archon have the ability to return minerals/gas, not like it needs it.

That should be all that you need to know to do that, other than string changes.

To change the strings just open up PyTbl and click on the blue folder to get default strings, then save your modified strings in your folder with the mod in it.

Hope you come by with more questions ;) .
The Watcher

Postby The Watcher » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:09 am

Thanks very much! That was a huge help! I'll have to explore FireGraft some more and get my bearings. Is FG also the program to use when creating new spells? I want to make a spell similar to consume, but make it possible to use on enemy units and remove the feature that gives the unit energy (basically, a close-range, instakill, free spell).
Derqua

Postby Derqua » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:05 am

It is also used for that, but the only way that I've seen it used is with the help of plug-ins.
Try using the general plug-in template if you have visual studio's or another c#/c++/vb editor, but I can't help that much with plug-ins.
TassadarZeratul might help you.
The Watcher

Postby The Watcher » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:27 am

Thanks for all your help, guys! I've experimented with a few different practice mods to learn more about the different things you can do with FireGraft. In one of my experiments, I was trying to completely convert the Magellan (Science Vessel) unit into a unit identical to the Kerrigan (ghost) unit in every way. I successfully added Magellan to the Ghost Heroes group in FG, incorperated it into all the necessary spells' "Use Tech" requirements (including StimPacks, as an added test), changed all the data, and am pretty much done doing the complete conversion (just the iscripts left). However, the Magellan version doesn't seem to be responding right with using personnel cloaking. Whenever I click on it it doesn't do anything and if the unit's energy is below 250, the "Not enough energy" error pops up when the cost is set to 25. All the other abilities work fine, so I'm not sure what's wrong. Any ideas?

@bajadulce
That's good news that I won't have to make a plugin for the spell. One more thing off the list of software to learn (at least for now). How might I go about editing that? If you point me in the right direction, I'm confident I would be able to teach myself. If it's helpful, I don't want to replace consume; I just want to copy it and then move the copy into the direction of an instant kill spell. I just picked consume because it seems like the closest thing to what I want to make.

Thanks guys!
Derqua

Postby Derqua » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:19 am

One hint, look at your post after you post them and never press reply more than once.

However, the Magellan version doesn't seem to be responding right with using personnel cloaking. Whenever I click on it it doesn't do anything and if the unit's energy is below 250, the "Not enough energy" error pops up when the cost is set to 25. All the other abilities work fine, so I'm not sure what's wrong. Any ideas?

Did you cleck the cloakable tag in DatEdit, under advanced?
I was trying to completely convert the Magellan (Science Vessel) unit into a unit identical to the Kerrigan (ghost) unit in every way. I successfully added Magellan to the Ghost Heroes group in FG, incorperated it into all the necessary spells' "Use Tech" requirements (including StimPacks, as an added test), changed all the data, and am pretty much done doing the complete conversion (just the iscripts left).

As long as you have your new unit under the same flingy ID as the original, the iscripting is the same.
The Watcher

Postby The Watcher » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:04 am

One hint, look at your post after you post them and never press reply more than once.

My bad. I know I'm not supposed to do that. There was some error when I was posting that it couldn't locate the server or something and, before I knew it, I had somehow posted twice without knowing how to delete one of them. Sorry. :(

Did you cleck the cloakable tag in DatEdit, under advanced?

Yeah, I did. I went through all the DatEdit stuff again to fix some of the issues I was having before with PyDAT, but it didn't affect the cloaking problem. Now everything in the data entries is exactly the same.

As long as you have your new unit under the same flingy ID as the original, the iscripting is the same.

It's not that I don't have all the kerrigan flingy data, it's that there is actually some extra stuff in there for some reason. Right now, everything is running as it should, but when the unit was still on the Science Vessel ability set it would run the Kerrigan animation along with those flashing circles in a triangle formation around the unit. It only happened whenever it used irradiate or defensive matrix, but it doesn't do it with the ghost spells. I just wanna go through and remove that in case it happens with my extra spells I'm making. Just wanna cover all the bases. ;)

I've read from many ppl that the cloaking exe edit is broken although I haven't done much experimenting with this to confirm.

I'll keep looking to see if there are any other things I'm missing, but it's not the orders tab (apparently units don't need to be registered under "Cloak" or "Decloak") or the Use Tech requirements (apparently Decloak isn't even considered its own tech) or the Button Sets registry (Magellan is set to use all abilities in the Ghost Heroes set, including Decloak). If I had to guess, I'd say it's because Decloak is missing from the Use Tech archive, but I don't know if it is considered an individual tech or just part of Peronnel Cloaking/Cloaking Field.

So sounds as tho you're stuck with the current cloakers as a base pool. These are Wraith, TomK, and all 4 ghosts for a total of 6.

I'll try using one of the other cloaking units as a base for my Kerrigan clone, but I'll have to move it over to a different button set. I plan to keep ghosts and wraiths in my mod as they are and the other two ghost heroes are already in use. I'll have a look around and see what sets I can sacrifice, but Vulture Heroes is looking promising. :)

I forget whether Kerrigan has the ability to launch nukes? If so, then you'll have to add Magellan to the paint nuke order as well. Are you using a graphic different than Kerrigans for this unit?

Nah, she doesn't. Thanks for letting me know, though! I might make use of that with another unit. The concept is still very much in the planning phase, so I'm not sure exactly what I want in the outcome. As for the graphic, it's the same one, just some slight color changes on the sprite. All the animations work exactly the same as before, though. They are both set on the new .grp right now, but the clone is going to have its own color variant as soon as I can find it or get someone to make it/make it myself. My friend is pretty good with that kind of stuff, so I think he might be able to do it. Are there any tutorials for editing sprite colors around, by any chance?

Sorry for the long, overly detailed post! All this modding stuff is a lot more interesting than I thought it was going to be walking into it. It's fun! Again, thanks so much for your help, guys! :D

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention; the only thing I'm having trouble converting from the Magellan base to the Kerrigan clone is the wireframe. Is that done in the iscript.bin? I didn't see it in DatEdit.

Return to “StarCraft Modding”