PyMS v1.2.1

Help - Resources - Discussion
Laser_Dude

Postby Laser_Dude » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:52 am

Whoa, wait a second... Are you trying to make a decompiler keep all original code? This seems completely backwards to me. Isn't the more important role of the compiler to make the text into (possibly optimized*) mod's files, rather than being like a binary file editor? I see that using text has the insane advantage of being able to use advanced versioning control like git, a full set of preprocessing tools, and all the world has to offer in text editing, which is a lot (GNU tools to the rescue!). If you ask me, the goal of a compiler is to make files as small, fast, and efficient as possible, while the source is shipped separately (or even right in the mod's MPQ), but I think storing the source directly in the output file gives you the worst of both worlds - you can't edit it directly, like a scripting language, and it's not optimized, like machine code.

*By optimized, I mean trying to keep the file as small as possible without worrying about human readability.
poiuy_qwert

Postby poiuy_qwert » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:04 am

I have no idea what you are talking about :S The programs that take text based code and compile them do the exact same thing as all other modding programs. The only thing I can think of that you might be talking about is PyAI's extra information saving. If so you are wrong. It does not save your code in text form or anything like that, it saves variable names, label names, and information comments in a compressed (zlib) form on the end of the file. This doesn't effect anything except for decompiling in PyAI, and is completely optional compile feature. It also doesn't cut back on the max code you can contain in the file because StarCraft just truncates the end of the file when loading, which would be the extra information anyway. If thats not what you mean, then mind explaining more?
Laser_Dude

Postby Laser_Dude » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:09 am

When A_of_s_t mentioned variables, I'm pretty sure he was thinking of something like a preprocessor, which would actually be a pretty good idea. I also can't imagine it being very difficult to implement (just have a way of dividing JS code from regular code (maybe with <? CODE ?> blocks), and then make a call to python-spidermonkey with the contents, and put the output back into the code, before compiling.

[quote name='poiuy_qwert' post='5462' date='Nov 5 2008, 07:04 PM']I have no idea what you are talking about :S The programs that take text based code and compile them do the exact same thing as all other modding programs. The only thing I can think of that you might be talking about is PyAI's extra information saving. If so you are wrong. It does not save your code in text form or anything like that, it saves variable names, label names, and information comments in a compressed (zlib) form on the end of the file. This doesn't effect anything except for decompiling in PyAI, and is completely optional compile feature. It also doesn't cut back on the max code you can contain in the file because StarCraft just truncates the end of the file when loading, which would be the extra information anyway. If thats not what you mean, then mind explaining more?[/quote]
OK, maybe I'm wrong then. I was under the impression that people were trying to use the compiler and decompiler as the primary way of saving and reopening their project, rather than using the countless advantages to the text-based files. Also, you seemed against A_of_s_t's variable's idea because you wouldn't be able to save it in the file.

Actually, come to think of it, I never got around to giving you a Linux screeny... Here's one where I basically tried to cram as many of your programs into one screen as I could. :P

BTW, I really like what you've done. I think you've done a fantastic job of this. It really takes a lot of effort to put all this stuff together.
poiuy_qwert

Postby poiuy_qwert » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:33 am

There are many reason's i can't implement what A_of_s_t was talking about, but the variables that PyAI/PyTRG have are like preprocessors/constants. It's possible for me to add the "<?CODE?>" idea you are talking about, but is it really necessary? If you think it will be a very helpful feature over just generating your code and copying it into your script you will probably find it in a later release.

Well yes you can use it that way, it is an Integrated Development Environment, so you can open the aiscript.bin+bwscript.bin/iscript.bin, edit it, and save it all in the program with advanced features. There is always the option to export/import to files because yes, there are advantages to having the source in hard files. I won't get into details about the variable idea but no thats not the reason (though i can't remember what i said previously), but it is somewhat a problem.

Thanks for the screenshot! (whoever designed the gui for tk on linux should be shot :S)

And thanks for the support, im glad you like it, i've had fun making them and thats all I could really ask for.
poiuy_qwert

Postby poiuy_qwert » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:16 am

Well one of the next versions main new features is added support for MPQ's! This means PyDAT will now show previews of grp's, and more things to come! Here is a preview:
poiuy_qwert

Postby poiuy_qwert » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:02 am

More cool stuff. I have now added an Insert/Previewer window to PyICE for easy GRP previewing and easy frame/image/sprite/flingy command and id editing and inserting:
poiuy_qwert

Postby poiuy_qwert » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:47 am

PyMS v1.0.0 has just been released! Everyone should update for the many new features and bug fixes, which include:
  • Online version checker
  • Graphics and sound inserters/perviewers for PyICE
  • GRP previews in PyDAT
  • Increased graphics loading speeds (thanks to PIL, which is an optional extra download for the source users, but comes pre-packed for the EXE users)
  • Saving/Loading from MPQ's and embedded MPQ's in PyDAT and PyAI
poiuy_qwert

Postby poiuy_qwert » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:19 pm

My next project for PyMS:

If you didn't notice it is based heavily on HawTiles by FaRTy1billion (layout/labels).
poiuy_qwert

Postby poiuy_qwert » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:27 am

PyMS v1.1.0 has now been released! This includes the much needed PyTBL closing fix, and the new PyTILE, along with other new features/bug fixes. I recommend updating ASAP! One big change you should be aware of is the source version (what the Mac users and some Windows users use), now requires PIL to run. If your program isn't opening from the source version, that might be why. Check out the docs for a link to the download if you use the source version.

Return to “PyMS (poiuy_qwert's complete modding suite)”