Complicated Mod, little help?

Help - Resources - AI Scripting - Grafting - Plugins - Modding Projects
Drakiazuu

Complicated Mod, little help?

Postby Drakiazuu » Fri May 13, 2011 12:40 pm

Hello everyone, I'm an old starcraft player come back to try modding again. I did a lot of map making and modding a few years back, don't know how many of them are still played though. Anyways,
I dug around the forums a bit looking for some information on how to do this, and the information I came across wasn't relevant to my problem. I'm trying to make siege tanks fire a 'unit' as a reaver fires a scarab. I am doing this in an attempt to make siege tanks require ammunition. The problem is a tank is 2 different units, and the turret is what does the shooting, not the tank, but the tank is what you select and build 'scarabs' at... Any help would be appreciated :)
Heinermann

Postby Heinermann » Fri May 13, 2011 3:38 pm

That's quite the dilemma. I don't think it can be done without hacking the game's executable.
Drakiazuu

Postby Drakiazuu » Fri May 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Well I guess what I'd have to do is isolate everything to one unit, which means removing the turret's capability to attack while sieged, and create an animation for the siege tank itself to fire as it releases the 'scarab'... Then somehow make it require it be sieged to fire the scarabs. Any thoughts, anyone?
yggdrasil

Postby yggdrasil » Fri May 13, 2011 4:46 pm

sounds a bit complicated that's for sure. Maybe try some kind of tank spoof rather than the unit. Maybe a unit morph to a hero reaver which cannot move? That's about all i can offer.

Have you experimented much with the tank/turret?
Drakiazuu

Postby Drakiazuu » Fri May 13, 2011 5:32 pm

I have experimented a lot, and it's quite near impossible.
My goal is to have a heavy artillery unit that you have to build shells for, and that has to set up to fire, etc. but I dont think you can enable/disable the firing of a scarab, or have the tank turret do a whole lot, considering its a sub-unit.
And as a totally unrelated question I came across while messing with some of the animations - Where in the world are the Bunker animations stored? I can't find them in the iscript.bin, or any relevant data in the dat files.
pastelmind

Postby pastelmind » Fri May 13, 2011 6:58 pm

For the artillery unit, the best solution would be to make the Scarab spawn fancy images and sprites upon creation so that they cover the parent Reaver before the Scarab starts walking towards the target. As far as I know, launching Scarabs do not call any special iscript animations (just like Mind Control and Feedback).

As for the Bunker's attack overlay, I think it is hardcoded to use the Bunker attack overlay entry in images.dat. The Modcrafters.com wiki states that other buildings can be modified to work exactly like the Bunker, but I haven't tested it myself.
Drakiazuu

Postby Drakiazuu » Sat May 14, 2011 4:12 am

That sounds like a good plan, Thank you very much :) I'll post if/when I get this to work

Return to “StarCraft Modding”