STF

Help - Resources - AI Scripting - Grafting - Plugins - Modding Projects
Hercanic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

STF

Postby Hercanic » Sat May 07, 2011 11:52 am

Hercanic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Hercanic » Mon May 09, 2011 3:20 pm

Thanks! Glad to hear you and Myk have played some games of STF before. And yes, the Zerg AI (Metaphyte) works.
yggdrasil

Postby yggdrasil » Mon May 09, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi :) I played 2 games and was very fun.

GAME1: 1st 2 player map in STF folder
[attachment=2821:stf_066 game1.rep]

I think i built too many oil depots and soon realized that  is more important than oil for getting infrastructure up and running. /dry.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='<_<' /> Spent a lot of the early game trying to find real estate that would accept building placement. The resources (used for the AI?) prob made it a bit more difficult. Eventually I got some momentum and an economy (or so it seemed) and started looking at the tooltips to build an army. I liked the concept that you are forced to build a larger territory for population, but the placement of new buildings became quite challenging. I imagine this gets easier the more you play and learn how to arrange your "pieces" in more efficient patterns. All the little half-life sound bits were very entertaining and the few military units I did manage to eventually control had some nice properties and attacks! ;) For my 1st experience, this mod wasn't too perplexing, tho the Zerg wiped me out quite easily (espc. lurkers) which leads me to believe I have no clue whatsoever what I am doin! :lol: Will have to go back and figure out detection.

GAME2: Played on one of the PEAI maps
[attachment=2822:stf_066 game2.rep]

This second map is probably the equivalent of a  map as the starting base is huge compared to the 1st map. /unsure.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' /> I also knew better and built sweat shops and new hubs to pump out more engineers rather than oil refineries. Eventually I had 3 hubs (CC's) and what seemed like a much better econom goin than 1st game. One lone oil refin seemed plenty to keep up w/ training military from the 3 hubs? Soon tho even the huge starting main ran out of room and was forced to leave its safety if I wanted to take advantage of my fast econ and build an army. No sooner than I started to build some new territory, the Zerg decided to show up again. The lings/hydras went down pretty easily, but once again lurkers were gg! game over. :lol:

I enjoyed the base building challenge and will have to give the mod another try again sometime soon.

Is there a database of replays anywhere? Would like to see how the game is supposed to be played. Maybe more ppl from forums will post their AI games.
Halachee

Postby Halachee » Tue May 10, 2011 5:16 am

gjob on mod. Sexy plugins. :wub:

[quote name='bajadulce' date='07 May 2011 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1304804830' post='10078']@ STF missing from forums
Yes, several mods got lost last year as they were part of a separate forum that vanished. Been meaning to try to restore some of them with at least a placeholder:
STF
Antithesis Rising
Ad Astras
Temptation
ITAS
just a few that come to mind.
[/quote]

Plz restore pages! I have been looking forever for the ARAI thread. /dry.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='<_<' /> /angry.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' /> /wacko.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />
Hercanic

Postby Hercanic » Wed May 11, 2011 4:16 am

Thanks all for playing!

has a from a Modnight using .

Also, attached are two multiplayer replays from STF 0066. One is of me versus Kookster, and the other is me versus Voyager. These were both test games, so the beginning is a little slow (particularly in the Voy game) because we were chatting and testing a few things out before the matches turned into real games.

[attachment=2824:STF0066 replays.rar]

Some tips on placement: If I'm in a corner, I'll usually try to build from there outward in a grid to maximize my space. Sweatshops come first, not only because Cash is the primary resource, but also because I like to keep them in the heart of my base due to their lower hitpoints (500hp). I usually keep one or two Oil Pumps in the core of my base as well to act as my main Influence generators, then I'll place future Pumps at defensive locations and chokepoints. Units heal inside Pumps, so keeping one or two close to where you station your troops can help a lot of your units last much longer. (Don't forget, the unit's killcount gives it longer Adrenaline Rushes every three kills, so always try to keep your units alive instead of just replacing them!) You can even use Oil Pumps offensively by establishing a small nest near your opponent, as I did in the Kookster match. Finally, I reserve the hearty Territory Claims (1000hp) for my perimeter. Don't be shy about their placement; think of Claims almost like watchtowers, extending your vision and giving early warning of incursions into your land.

For economy, I usually aim for a Projected Income of ~100 before taxes (the more cash you have on hand, the higher your income is taxed). As a game progresses, you might notice the Influence system starting to make your favored units cost a lot more Influence. At this point, I'll usually shift gears by moving some Engineers from Sweatshops to Oil Pumps.

When dealing with the Zerg, you'll want to get an Airfield ASAP, followed by the Hanger add-on to unlock Harriers (the only detector unit). The timing is tough, so try to station your defense away from any buildings, and exploit Lurkers unburrowing to catch a target that has moved out of their range. Getting Frag Grenades (found in the Assault Facility) for Guards can also help, as you can aim the spell at the Lurker's location without seeing it and still deal damage with the explosion.
yggdrasil

Postby yggdrasil » Wed May 11, 2011 8:16 am

Hercanic

Postby Hercanic » Wed May 11, 2011 9:47 am

Sweatshops and Oil Pumps earn 5 resources a cycle on their own, and an additional 5 per Engineer inside. You can also load a mercenary into a Sweatshop to exchange its killcount for bonus resources.

A fully loaded Shop/Pump will give 25 resources a cycle, so to reach 100+ projected income you can achieve it with as little as four Shops and 16 Engineers. If you want to save supply and have the room, exchange an Engineer for an empty Shop.

As for the replays, I should also mention I was intentionally non-aggressive in the beginning in order to give my opponents a chance to get familiar, so that's why there was excessive base-building and moderate turtling. Normally, you'd see a lot of skirmishes early game.

Lancers are pretty good against buildings, and one of the best against defenses due to their long-distance Mortar. However, consider the Grenadier attacking a Hub, a structure large enough to be hit by all of his Grenades at 15 damage a pop (60dmg per volley). Or, try the Asher on for size, whose residual flames stack up and lead to incredible damage over time. Even the Gunner can deal crazy damage if you get him close (his damage ramps up to double at melee range), shredding the target for 12 damage a tick (even more when upgraded).

1.16.1's chat-saving feature would be nice, but unfortunately it'd require a lot of offsets being re-identified for STF to work.
yggdrasil

Postby yggdrasil » Fri May 13, 2011 5:07 pm

I tried out a few more games and some of the different units. The mod has been a blast, but now I can beat the AI rather easily unfortunately. I would love to play against a human AI race or even a beefed up zerg. :)

I also suffered a crash, but it was only one of a dozen games now, so could have been anything. Other than that single incident, the mod is very stable. gjob.

Some very minor details:
Some of the cmdbtns are very very dark in contrast to "lighted" ones which leads to believe they aren't available, but you soon learn they are.
Its a bit hard to decipher which unit is which when group selected via wireframe model, but you get used to them.
The hotkey grid matching the qweasdzxc keys is a nice idea and makes for simple hotkey construction void of the possibility of conflicts. It can be a bit alien after years and years of pressing "b" for build or "a" for attack etc, but it's a creative alternative and definitely much better than Blizzard's haphazard use of the entire keyboard.

... more to come for sure.

[quote name='Halachee' date='09 May 2011 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1305004616' post='10087']Plz restore pages! I have been looking forever for the ARAI thread. /dry.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='<_<' /> /angry.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' /> /wacko.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />
[/quote]

It appears the page has been recently rebuilt as well as ARAI reuploaded to the database.

^^ ARAI replay challenge anyone? :)

Return to “StarCraft Modding”