Firegraft offset guide

Help - Resources - AI Scripting - Grafting - Plugins - Modding Projects
bajadulce
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Firegraft offset guide

Postby bajadulce » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:32 pm

Fed up with downgrading and especially wanting the NO-cd feature that post 1.15.1 offers, I set out to find the offsets for 1.16.1. With anything new, it was very foreign and confusing, but soon finding these offsets was easy. So I put together a small laymans tutorial on how to find these on your own. The ones below are taken from PEAI. If the mod needed a certain exe edit, I found the offset. Those that are missing simply weren't needed in the mod. If for whatever reason you can't figure this out, then post your question or request and I or others will help.

Simple tut on finding exe edits:
Here is a simple technique I have been using to find these in Ollydbg. The steps and procedures have been overly simplified, but many if not most known exe edits can be found using this layman technique.

Example 1.15.1 > 1.16.1 exe edit for scanner sweep unit create:
1.15.1 = 91Offset=0x65360

In ollydedbg SCv1.15.1:
goto expression 00465360 (right-click or ctrl-G) and make note of the code.
now scroll up a bit and the code may or may not change.

If the code changes, then take note of how much the address has changed. In the example shown above it has changed from ..360 to ..35f. Using windows calculator converting hex to decimal, this is shown to be a difference of 1. You will use this value later.

mov ecx,21 is the code you will be searching for in 1.16.1. You may need to search for a different neighboring line if the code isn't something as generic as this. Just take note of its position in relation to the original. Take note of the surrounding code as well as a search may yield more than one result.

In 1.16.1 goto an expression somewhere in the general area of known 1.15.1 (00465360) expression. I picked (0464000). This is so the search will find the area we are searching for easier. Search for command (right-click or ctrl-f) mov ecx,21 and take note of the address 00464f5f. The surrounding code also matches that of the 1.15.1 surrounding code in the 2nd picture. If it doesn't, skip to the next mov ecx,21 command until you find the correct area.

Add the value you found in step2 if any to 00464f5f to get 00464f60. Go to that expression and you will see that the code matches the original in step1.

This is your 1.16.1 offset.
0x64f60
Mauron
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mauron » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:15 am

a_of_s_t

Postby a_of_s_t » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:24 am

Thanks! Now I can update the Plugin Template for 1.16.1. :D
a_of_s_t

Postby a_of_s_t » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:37 pm

a_of_s_t

Postby a_of_s_t » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:17 am

The main use of ollydbg is the breakpoint option which you can use to see when codeis accessed. Though, it freezes my computer sometimes, be sure to memorize the hot keys for the untoggle option.
Whiplash

Postby Whiplash » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:54 am

This is some really interesting stuff, I might look into using some of it for my mod campaign depending on if I need more advanced exe edits.
Horst

Postby Horst » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:29 am

Horst

Postby Horst » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:25 pm

Thank you. I found out how to do it having zerg building/morphing units - and it works great now. I've done my litte mod so far: found SC is a great and balanced game so I've only added the opportunity to train/warp/morph some of the heroes from the SC+BW campaign.
Because of this my mod is working fine with Racine's Rebels Final + Entropy.

Thanks alot to all the folks out there working on starcraft mods/tools to provide more fun to all the nerds that never getaway from SC.

Return to “StarCraft Modding”