Rocky II Zerg and Protoss AI (Updated 02/02/12)

Help - Resources - AI Scripting - Grafting - Plugins - Modding Projects
Taranok

Postby Taranok » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:09 am

Actually I think scourges are not a good idea, at least according A_Wing, cause the AI builds too many apparently.

Also! New reps!
The first isnt special. The only thing to note is that I tried getting reavers, but didnt get it in time. Probably I was late on getting them about 30 seconds. (like if I was better I would have gotten them 30 secs earlier.)
[attachment=2998:Me vs RockyCheatZerg2.7.rep]

The seconds is definitely more interesting. I was just in time to get Templar Archives to get DTs, and the AI really didnt get detection the first 2 waves. Unfortunately I think I stayed on 2 base too long, and it just ran me over, on its 3rd wave/4th wave.
[attachment=2999:Me vs RockyCheatZerg2.7#2.rep]

you should probably rename the replays...I'm just too lazy.
JH24

Postby JH24 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:39 am

Yeah, Scourges can be trouble for the AI to handle or produce. In all my tests I haven't seen even one Science Vessel taken out by them. Usually they're picked off by enemy units before that, or they keep hanging above an enemy base, wasting the AI's limited resources. I could try using a place_guard command to defend expansions, instead of actively using them in an attack.

Thanks for the replays. :)

The second replay was (like you said) especially interesting. I really liked how you got early Dark Templars and kept the AI at bay. The AI did research Overlord speed when you had DT's, but I'll try to let the AI get it a bit sooner.

One thing I noticed is that the AI sometimes seems to act on its own, or maybe it just depends on the kind of map. During the mid-game it should have attacked more often, but it seemed to wait until it had a few Ultralisks.

Very well played, and thanks for sharing. :) Do you think it would it be better if I delayed the first AI attack a bit? (For example to 9-10 minutes?) It attacked very early in the second replay, perhaps a bit too early.
Myk

Postby Myk » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:38 am

In the Zerg AI script, if you call "capt_expand()" the AI will spread out it's Overlords a bit more, so it can spot cloaked units a little easier.
If you put it in a bunch of times the overlords can get really spread out, so just keep it to one to start with. :)
Taranok

Postby Taranok » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:44 am

I think a delay might be good, but probably at max like 40 secs (real-life) later. If it was even later, then even I could beat it, :P. And then you don't want your AI to be that bad. :lol:
Taranok

Postby Taranok » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:34 am

Played an intense game vs AI that lasted 30+ minutes! Except I forgot to save replay....
It's lategame is really really strong! I think maybe too strong, but maybe I'm just a noob.

I'd maybe suggest unlimited money until 30 minutes, which I think is what A_wing's Premium Ais do.
JH24

Postby JH24 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:32 am

Thank you for your comments and for your support. :)

The AI already uses unlimited money until 30 minutes into the game. But if it has a few bases by then it's probably able to sustain itself without cheating.

The difficulty is very likely too high, but I'm working a bit on a new version (cheating and non-cheating) that changes the AI's core research and attack branches. It will likely feel quite different and hopefully easier and more fun to play against.

A difference is that this AI now has a choice to expand out of its own. (I'm experimenting with the panic() command. With this you don't have to give the AI orders to expand after the first base)
Taranok

Postby Taranok » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:11 am

Oooh... panic() command. It seems interesting when I read it in the list of commands but I haven't looked at it.

Actually I forgot I played the game with autoreplay!!!! I actually have the replays that I had mentioned!!!

I think they are quite interesting. Maybe the AI is just too hard for me because of my poor unit control.

[attachment=3014:0023 Taran CompZ TaranP.rep]
[attachment=3015:0024 Taran CompZ TaranP.rep]
[attachment=3016:0025 Taran CompZ TaranP.rep]
Taranok

Postby Taranok » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:39 am

I WON!!! I'm so proud of myself... :lol:

Basically what you do is just survive the first attack with dt's, expand everywhere, and mass carriers!

The AI might need something like devourers, but I'm not sure what you can really do with zerg anti-air since scourges don't work well. You will definitely need more spores.

[attachment=3023:0031 Taran TaranP CompZ.rep] - I lost this one because I couldn't find my probe at the end...
[attachment=3024:0032 Taran CompZ TaranP.rep]

Meanwhile I'll try to beat it without using carriers...
Taranok

Postby Taranok » Mon May 21, 2012 9:55 pm

For some reason the AI seems to softlock when it loses its 3rd base. Once you kill it the AI just doesn't rebuild it and something goes wrong.
JH24

Postby JH24 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 am

Hey Taranok,

Thank you for your replies and for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

I'm sorry for my inactivity in the last few months. I went through some personal problems but things are slowly getting better now.

After seeing your message this morning, I tried to take a look at my scripts but I've been out of it for a while and now I don't even understand them myself anymore. :P It's going to take some time.

Return to “StarCraft Modding”