Rocky II Zerg and Protoss AI (Updated 02/02/12)

Help - Resources - AI Scripting - Grafting - Plugins - Modding Projects
JH24

Postby JH24 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Thank you for the replay. :) Nice playing, you did some really good early pressure.

Yeah, the AI builds a lot of units when it gets going, but Gold Zerg is a cheating AI so it has an unfair advantage. ;)

I noticed the AI build 4 hatcheries at the start, maybe I should remove one to slow it down a little. I'm worried it builds too many units in the first 10 minutes.
JH24

Postby JH24 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:40 pm

The Protoss AI has been updated to v2.5 and the Zerg AI to v2.6: index.php?showtopic=509&view=findpost&p=6220

I've decided to stop working on the "vanilla" AI scripts. It was fun to work on them but it started to become too time consuming. I've merged parts of the "vanilla" and "expansion" AI scripts together in one type of AI each for both Protoss and Zerg.
Archon_Wing

Postby Archon_Wing » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:16 am

It is okay. Very few people play Vanilla anyways.

And yea I would say it could use a hatchery less, since it is cheating that may make too much.
Taranok

Postby Taranok » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:54 am

Replays:

#1: 2 gate pressure did nothing, died right after, the AI had too many units for me
#2: 12 Nexus :), survived longer but still didnt have enough units to fend off the first attack.

Maybe Im just too nooby. :lol:

[attachment=2975:TaranokvsRockyZv2.6.rep]
[attachment=2976:TaranokvsRockyZv2.6#2.rep]
JH24

Postby JH24 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:09 am

My apologies. Double post.
JH24

Postby JH24 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:10 am

@ Archon_Wing

Thank you for the advice. :) I've removed one hatchery from the main. I'm a bit wondering if I should do something about the third one as well.

===

@ Taranok

Thanks a lot for the replays! :)

You played very well, I especially liked the second game where both you and the AI build up a large army. I think if you had a few High Templars you could have turned the tide of battle in your favor. ;)

The weakness of Rocky Zerg is that it really likes Hydralisks. In large groups these units are dangerous, but if you can break up these groups they become a lot less effective.

I think the best way to handle the cheating AI is to (like you did) expand early (The AI won't rush), build up your army and creating a choke point. The trick is to survive the first two attack waves (During the first attack a second attack wave is already being formed) After this the AI won't have much left and then you could press on.

I almost won against my Protoss Gold AI this way yesterday, but I lost because I attacked too late and ran out of resources.

===

Thanks again for the replays. :) I really appreciate it.

Is it alright if I could ask you a question? At the moment the cheating Ai builds three hatcheries at its main in the first minutes. Do you think it would be better if I delayed the third hatchery to for example 5-6 minutes? Do you think that could help in taking off some pressure? I'm worried the AI still builds too much early on.
Taranok

Postby Taranok » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:54 am

I think the hatcheries are ok unless you want it to be more vulnerable at at the beginning. I don't see it as a change to be added to future versions.

The early hatcheries just are annoying when I 2 gate and dont kill anything. :lol:
JH24

Postby JH24 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:01 pm

[quote name='Taranok' date='28 January 2012 - 06:54 PM' timestamp='1327805680' post='10706']
I think the hatcheries are ok unless you want it to be more vulnerable at at the beginning. I don't see it as a change to be added to future versions.

The early hatcheries just are annoying when I 2 gate and dont kill anything. :lol:
[/quote]

Thank you for your reply. :) I'll keep the third hatchery.

====

The current versions posted of the AI will very likely be the last for awhile. (If there are mistakes I'll post newer ones)

There's one last AI I would like to upload. It's a "light" version of the non-cheating/cheating Zerg AI. (They're also added on the first page)

[attachment=2984:Rocky II Zerg v2.6 non-cheating low-tech.txt]

[attachment=2983:Rocky II Zerg v2.6 cheating low-tech.txt]

These low tech AI's are based on the normal Rocky Zerg AI's but with the difference that it will not go past Lair tech. It will get the basic upgrades, but afterwards it will pour all resources it gets into unit production.

One other difference is that both low tech AI's will build a lot more Zerglings in comparison with the normal versions.

Several blocks, lines and repeating loops in the script have been removed as they aren't needed anymore.
Taranok

Postby Taranok » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:28 am

Why???? Are you leaving somewhere or just too busy? :(
JH24

Postby JH24 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:31 am

[quote name='Taranok' date='29 January 2012 - 07:28 PM' timestamp='1327894118' post='10710']
    Why???? Are you leaving somewhere or just too busy? :(
    [/quote]

Oh no, I'm not leaving. I'm sorry for the confusion. It's just that at the moment I don't have new idea's for my AI anymore. But I'm always willing to upload a new version if there are requests or if people encounter bugs/mistakes during gameplay.

I'm not going anywhere. ;)

Return to “StarCraft Modding”