Rocky II Zerg and Protoss AI (Updated 02/02/12)

Help - Resources - AI Scripting - Grafting - Plugins - Modding Projects
JH24

Postby JH24 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:05 pm

The Protoss AI's have been updated to v2.1 and the Zerg AI's to version 2.2

index.php?showtopic=509&view=findpost&p=6220

===

Changes for Protoss v2.1

(All Protoss scripts) Some small changes (Timings/Build Orders) to make the AI behave a bit smoother/faster.
(All Protoss scripts) Increased the amount of high tier units (Archons, Dark Archons and Arbiters) the non-cheating AI's can use. The AI will build more of them, but only if enough resources are available.
(Cheating Protoss scripts) Reduced number of Gateways in main base to 4 to slow down the AI a bit. (Gateways are also build at expansions) This is more of a test to see if this makes the AI a bit more fair. Number may change in future versions.
(All Protoss scripts) If requirements (Having Observers and Shuttles) are met, the AI will build Reavers and research upgrades for them. Although Reavers are not a part of the main attacking force, the AI often uses them while attacking out of its own.

===

Changes for Zerg v2.2

(Non-cheating Zerg scripts) Slightly increased defense in the early game by adding more Zerglings.
(Cheating Zerg vanilla script) Added a Guardian loop. If the AI chooses to build a Spire and Mutalisks, it will tech towards a Greater Spire and Guardians later in the game.
(All Zerg scripts) A few more minor changes, mainly regarding timing and building.
JH24

Postby JH24 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:29 pm

I'm sorry for all the updates lately, I'll do my best to make this the last one for awhile. (Unless there's a mistake I overlooked and need to fix)

The Protoss AI's have been updated to v2.2 and the Zerg AI's to v2.3.

index.php?showtopic=509&st=0&p=6220&#entry6220

===

Changes for Protoss v2.2

(All Protoss scripts) Removed unnecessary blocks and made some small changes to make the AI a little faster/more efficient.
(All Protoss scripts) The time the AI has to wait before it can take a second expo has been decreased.
(Protoss cheating scripts) Added back in the 5th Gateway for the cheating AI's. 4 Gateways alone crippled the AI too much before. A 6th one may be build if resources are high enough.
(Protoss non-cheating scripts) These AI's can now build more Gateways during the game. Depending on the resources this could be as much as 9 Gateways total.

===

Changes for Zerg v2.3

(Zerg non-cheating AI's) I didn't like doing this, but I've removed any block in the scripts that could lead to Hive tech. The AI builds so many units that it almost never had enough resources to get a Hive. In the rare cases it did the AI slowed down considerably when building a Hive and later units/buildings. It interrupted the AI's (almost constant) production of units and its momentum.

For now I'm focusing on improving the speed and performance of the Zerg AI's before Hive tech. If everything goes well, I'll definitely try to add Hive tech later on again.

The cheating AI's are unaffected, they can still tech towards the high tier stuff later in the game.

(Zerg cheating AI's) Delayed building of the fourth hatchery for the AI to slow down its army buildup.
Archon_Wing

Postby Archon_Wing » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:09 am

Good job with the Zerg. I actually died the first time I played to the first wave, which I conveniently didn't save the rep. *cough* :lol:

Anyhow, it does a really good job rebuilding units and you can be in trouble if you fail to defend. I think anyone would be in deep crap if they miss some storms. White did seem to have trouble spending its money, and it could use overlord speed a little faster. Maybe a little static defense(spores esp)
JH24

Postby JH24 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks a lot for the replay! That really helped so much. :)

It seems the white AI on the top left (soft) locked at a certain point. It became active again when you attacked it. The yellow AI did better, but got two Lair's for some reason and didn't get many upgrades.

The research for Overlord speed is tied to a detection loop (Dark Templar, Lurker, etc.) but I'll try if I can shorten the loop. The cheating AI researches Overlord speed along with other upgrades, but I wanted to save resources as much as possible with the non-cheating AI.

You're right about the spores/static defense. I wanted to add it earlier, but I've been delaying it because it seems to slow the AI down. In the next versions I'll add some defense to the expansions. (At least one spore to help with detection)

Thanks again for your replay and for your comments. I really appreciate it. :) It also gave me motivation to work on the next version.
JH24

Postby JH24 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:02 pm

The Protoss have been updated to v2.3 and the Zerg to v2.4

Both Protoss and Zerg now build (light) defenses at expansions.

Both Protoss and Zerg have resource checks in the script. The main purpose of these checks are to help keep a balance between minerals and gas for the AI.

It's possible they may slow down the AI a bit, but (hopefully) also make it perform more balanced/smoother overall.

The non-cheating Zerg AI's have access to Hive tech again. Although currently only for cracklings and Level 3 upgrades.

Reduced the number of Hatcheries and Gateways for the cheating Zerg and Protoss AI's to make them more similar to the non-cheating AI's.
JH24

Postby JH24 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:07 pm

Updated the Protoss to v2.4 and the Zerg to v2.5

Added some small changes in all the scripts. The main differences from the previous versions are that the Zerg now actively makes use of Ultralisks and that the (non-cheating) Protoss can now build multiple Archons/Dark Archons during a game.
Taranok

Postby Taranok » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Here's a replay of me vs Gold Zerg:
[attachment=2964:Me vs Rocky Zerg 2.5 gold.rep]

Summary:
2 gate pressure made it pretty easy to crush. Didn't really build that much defense in the beginning.

But I have played games that did go on to the middle game and it is really hard. Even on one base it had like a double the supply even when I was on 2 bases.
JH24

Postby JH24 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks a lot for the replay. :)

Yeah, you're entirely right. Early defense is a problem with my AI. I'm not good in playing Starcraft and I always had trouble making a build order to defend against early attacks. (Well played, by the way)

I'll try to add some early sunkens for the Gold AI.

Thanks again for the replay and for your comments. I really appreciate it. :)
Taranok

Postby Taranok » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:16 pm

:P if you do that then I can't beat it anymore.

2 gate is not as common as some of the other builds but still used so it's definitely something to be wary of.

We should play each other or something, it'd probably be really funny. :lol:
Taranok

Postby Taranok » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:25 am

Ok new rep!

Went 2 gate, not as successful though, for whatever reason. After that had some fights but it just massed way too many units than I could handle. Maybe it's my rather poor macromanagement.

[attachment=2966:Me vs JH24 Zerg Gold.rep]

Return to “StarCraft Modding”