Shared Debugging

Help - Resources - AI Scripting - Grafting - Plugins - Modding Projects
Xerxes
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Xerxes » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:25 am

I've finally pinpointed the Terran script in Entropy II that was causing crashes/freezes. In the crash area details I've added a list of replays you can watch using that AI to verify the crashes. Now that my findings are verifiable I'll be reporting them to the script creators in their threads as well. If I manage to figure out exactly what is causing the crashes through the course of my work, I will gladly report on that also.

Furthermore, I removed the section about the priority rating 1 problem. A whole lot of replays and script modification testing later, it doesn't seem to be what was responsible for upgrade/research neglection on the AI's part so much as some non-standard maps that we've been playing. Odd, since you'd think, as one example, BroodWar/(8)Theatre of War.scm is similar enough to most standard maps - especially with only 4-5 players when there's more expansions available. I still find it peculiar I saw multiple instances of things such as two Protoss players running the same exact scripts with four expansions, equal armies of Dragoons and other assorted units, and at 40 minutes one had max upgrades on everything while the other one had only a mere single weapons upgrade. But since the issue doesn't seem at all prevalent, I am dropping it.

I'm not sure I'm going to turn up any more problems with the scripts. Maybe I'll have enough time left before work picks up again to try writing my own. I was thinking a new Zerg or Terran script might be nice.
Archon_Wing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Archon_Wing » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:33 am

Archon_Wing

Postby Archon_Wing » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:24 pm

Yea that would probaly make the script run better, and now that I look closer the script's also missing a wait at the end. It's definitely the culprit.

I think the main trouble is the non-intuitive way the editing system works. Train 7 marine does not mean train 7 more marines, it just means train up to 7 marines. One thing I see people doing a lot is them trying to loop these trains too much. The AI will rebuild units on its own, especially if you tell it to build more of a unit.! Trying to hush it along has always been counterproductive. Not to mention this problem is magnified when you are under attack, and lose units.

If one really wants to train units fast in a loop, the attack_add command works very well for this, as the AI seems to see these as urgent. My edit of Easychat scripts uses exclusively attack_add for some of the later attack loops and it works very well at rebuilding imo. ;) Attack_add is just that great. Early and mid game you have to baby the AI a bit so it builds all the buildings and army appropriately. Later on for late game, just make

:Final
Attack_add a crapload
attack_add a crapload
attack_add a crapload
attack_prepare
attack_do
attack_clear
wait 6000
goto final

And it will do what you just said for once. Make a lot of units, attack, and rebuild, and repeat.
Archon_Wing

Postby Archon_Wing » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:37 am

poiuy_qwert

Postby poiuy_qwert » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:22 am

Yeah sorry for the inconvenience, check on how to update PyAI to fix that bug.
Archon_Wing

Postby Archon_Wing » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:22 am

PYAi works very nicely now, though the fact that the block names don't get converted is making me go blind. ;) I think I solved most of the crashing; I made a modded entropy with it for my own use (and friends) and also stuck my own scripts in there. No crashes so far... yet. Though honestly, crashes were few and far between anyways. In fact, the first time it crashed was yesterday when I was playing with a friend. :) Apparently, Peppe had orginally intended for some arbiters to come out. That's pretty cool stuff
Halachee

Postby Halachee » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:10 pm

I've played Entropy2 with my friedns a lot and it never crashed for us. I did not know about these bugs. This is useful information for future versions. What is progress?
Archon_Wing

Postby Archon_Wing » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:59 am

I think the OP and (me lately as well) made an edit for personal use. Since the problems aren't really severe for the most part, (Entropy crashing like once in months), it's preferable to only release a new version when many changes have been made. Releasing a new version without a compelling reason would lead to much grief because people who do not have the same version will drop from each others' games. And it is very difficult to get everyone to use the same version, as there have been so many downloads already. No matter how much you try to make sure that people are aware of this, a flood of complaints will inevitably ensue since nobody ever reads. :)

Edit: Problem fixed with PYAI
poiuy_qwert

Postby poiuy_qwert » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:51 am

What do you mean converting to PyAI? As in using the "Convert SCAIEdit to PyAI" option in the script editor or opening an aiscript.bin from SCAIEdit in PyAI? If its the first then there may be a bug, but what you say is happening shouldn't happen :/ If its the second then its SCAIEdits fault and not PyAI. If you could explain this more and maybe give me an example script with steps to reproduce these problems then i'll look into it.

Return to “StarCraft Modding”