BWAI Launcher (updated)

Help - Resources - AI Scripting - Grafting - Plugins - Modding Projects
Archon_Wing

Postby Archon_Wing » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:47 pm

Mar 17, 2010
I won't hide the fact that I'm extremely biased towards the Entropy Side, but don't the others need more love too?

Entropy Folder Changes:
Added Relentless P, and also added it to Entropy Multiplayer P
Compacted the Entropy File, seems like junk has somehow got in there

Racine's Rebels Changes:
Updated Premium and Rocky Gold Ais
Added Insane Blizzard scripts (They aren't as good as our non-cheating ones! /ohmy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' />)

Extreme AIs Changes:
Added Rocky Extreme, Miracle Invocation, and Mighty Crusader
Updated ZAPOC to 7.4
Xerxes

Postby Xerxes » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:26 pm

I don't mean to be a wet blanket - certainly there's no arguing that the BWAI Launcher is an excellent tool, especially for anyone making their own AI script or with the time and patience to pick out their own favorites for specific matchups - but I was very saddened to read that BWAI Launcher is essentially the end of BWAI Gold.

The BWAI Launcher would seem to unravel the consolidation and communal advancement that this site's many various AI scripts have enjoyed through their inclusion in BWAI Gold. Correct me if I'm wrong, but were not many minor improvements and crash fixes made to several scripts in the latest version of BWAI Gold? Were not these changes made to improve the experience of BWAI Gold as a whole? Then, what now will become of these dormant or abandoned scripts now that BWAI Launcher has shut down the show room and vanquished the scripts to fend for themselves individually? I sincerely doubt that these scripts would have been dusted off and face-lifted so many times if not for BWAI Gold.

For that matter, I knew I was always getting the latest version of all the best scripts from BWAI.com when I downloaded BWAI Gold. There are so many different scripts on this site in various stages of completion and stability - scripts which by their very nature are often too complicated to clearly label - that without BWAI Gold being maintained, each of the potential thousands of site visitors are basically being asked to grab BWAI Launcher, download random scripts and spend hours of their own time sorting through them and weeding out buggy, incomplete or crashy scripts (assuming they don't throw up their hands in frustration and hastily delete the entire download because of bad first impressions or impatience).

Overall, the BWAI Launcher feels to me like a big step forward for script writers and testers, but as the end of BWAI Gold, a big step backwards for players and the community... which would seem to defeat the activity BWAI Launcher seeks to be useful for. Just some thoughts I wanted to get off my chest as an admirer of all the many hours of work that's been done here to expand the StarCraft experience. Perhaps the ramblings of a worried fool. /tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />
Myk

Postby Myk » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:38 am

I don't mean to be a wet blanket - certainly there's no arguing that the BWAI Launcher is an excellent tool, especially for anyone making their own AI script or with the time and patience to pick out their own favorites for specific matchups - but I was very saddened to read that BWAI Launcher is essentially the end of BWAI Gold.
I think it's a good end; it's not really an end at all.

The BWAI Launcher would seem to unravel the consolidation and communal advancement that this site's many various AI scripts have enjoyed through their inclusion in BWAI Gold. Correct me if I'm wrong, but were not many minor improvements and crash fixes made to several scripts in the latest version of BWAI Gold? Were not these changes made to improve the experience of BWAI Gold as a whole? Then, what now will become of these dormant or abandoned scripts now that BWAI Launcher has shut down the show room and vanquished the scripts to fend for themselves individually? I sincerely doubt that these scripts would have been dusted off and face-lifted so many times if not for BWAI Gold.
Uhh. What? :)

The Launcher killed the SEMPQ of BWAI Gold. Actually, it ate it and also ate the rest of the SEMPQs, taking the many and forming a whole.

For that matter, I knew I was always getting the latest version of all the best scripts from BWAI.com when I downloaded BWAI Gold. There are so many different scripts on this site in various stages of completion and stability - scripts which by their very nature are often too complicated to clearly label - that without BWAI Gold being maintained, each of the potential thousands of site visitors are basically being asked to grab BWAI Launcher, download random scripts and spend hours of their own time sorting through them and weeding out buggy, incomplete or crashy scripts (assuming they don't throw up their hands in frustration and hastily delete the entire download because of bad first impressions or impatience).
There's no reason why you still can't get the most updated scripts. Not too long ago, Archon Wing updated the packages with new or updated scripts. Getting the newest stuff isn't much harder than downloading the lastest BWAI Launcher. The BWAI Launcher also has a txt file right out in the open which shows when it was last updated.

I don't see anywhere where we've said that the visitors need to do any sort of wizardry with their package files. Most of the best and most up to date scripts were included in the BWAI Launcher.

If someone finds a problem, they can post and from there it's not too difficult to revise and update the original. I can't really say that I see there being a downside to it at all.

And if some poor soul comes along and wants to add some new and crazy scripts, that's easy to do as well. /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Overall, the BWAI Launcher feels to me like a big step forward for script writers and testers, but as the end of BWAI Gold, a big step backwards for players and the community... which would seem to defeat the activity BWAI Launcher seeks to be useful for. Just some thoughts I wanted to get off my chest as an admirer of all the many hours of work that's been done here to expand the StarCraft experience. Perhaps the ramblings of a worried fool. :P
You seem to have picked up some notions about this project that I don't see to exist. I hope we can clarify this for you. :)
Xerxes

Postby Xerxes » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:02 am

The inclusion and routine update of all scripts on the site with BWAI-L was not clearly indicated in the announcement, or anywhere else that I can recall having read. I am glad it is only a miscommunication. Considering recent talk of changing hosts and/or administration, and that bajadulce no longer has the amount of free time he would like to spend on the site, I took "What makes this tool so useful is that everything we've done over the past half decade can be archived in this simple to use program as well as any future updates by our members." to mean that the modular BWAI-L was the final collective effort and from this point forward everyone would just grab newer scripts post release on their own and plug them in. My apologies.
Archon_Wing

Postby Archon_Wing » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:42 am

Xerxes, welcome back. :)

I assure you that the scripts located within are of the highest quality, save for Blizzard's shitty limitations and incomplete/unstable scripts will not be included in the primary package. The minimum bar of quality is typically "better than the default" which isn't saying much, but I'll just say most can blow that away easily. Many people who come here are usually just looking for that-- "better than the default"

Well ok, I didn't look over the Blizzard scripts, but they are really just here to be punching bags. :P

Of course, some scripts could be vastly improved on, and most of my changes to them are restricted to bug fixing (There's only so much you can edit another's script til it becomes a entirely different script). The beauty of the launcher is that anyone who wants to suggest improvements can do it easily via the txt files. You wouldn't even need to know the syntax or compile an exe; just tweak numbers here and there and you're done! And you wouldn't have to write anything from scratch either.

So if you ever gather a little bit of interest, feel free to troubleshoot or enhance a certain script. And do share your txt files. Of course, I do remember you to be a far better troubleshooter than me. :P
Taranok

Postby Taranok » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:10 am

New BWAILauncher:

TaranokAI updated.
Added Yunhurlas AI.
Taranok

Postby Taranok » Mon May 28, 2012 10:21 pm

updated BWAI Launcher:

updated TaranokAI
added A_Wing's mod of Avance's AI

if didn't mention, it has Myk's War Protoss AI for bwaiwar.
Heinermann

Postby Heinermann » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:18 am

Link for that last one is dead.
Also some of the scripts in the previous one have some bugs, mainly using calls and blocking the thread before returning from the call.
Taranok

Postby Taranok » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:11 am

Link for that last one is dead.
Also some of the scripts in the previous one have some bugs, mainly using calls and blocking the thread before returning from the call.
Yeah I'm aware that the link doesn't work. I was fixing some issues I had with BWAILauncher.

Know any scripts in particular?

Return to “StarCraft Modding”