Eccentric AI, the Challenge of Mod Planning

Help - Resources - AI Scripting - Grafting - Plugins - Modding Projects
Hercanic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Hercanic » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:21 pm

As I understand the AI, you command it to make x many of y units, then when they reach a certain amount, you order them to attack. Is there any kind of command that has the AI maintain a certain number of a certain unit? For instance, if you kill off a Zerg's Queens, what's telling it to build replacements, if anything?
Hercanic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Hercanic » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:59 pm

I see. How does it work with Workers, then? What with the auto-rebuilding of workers being based on how many minerals are near, is there a quirk that won't allow place_guard to act as a substitute?

Any Dummy AI scripts for modders around that prevents the AI from doing anything? (Like crashing the game by trying to do something it no longer can)

When a unit is set as a Hero, all upgrades and spells it has are made available to the unit without research. Does this mean Hero units, if unchecked as a Hero, will benefit from those same upgrades when researched (so two or more unit IDs could gain from the same upgrade)? I'm guessing they might, since the Devouring One has the same weapon cooldown as a normal Zergling and refers to the same Iscript, yet attacks as fast as a Crackling when set as a Hero. Some may not, though, looking at the Ghost's base sight range (9) compared to the three Ghost heroes (Kerrigan 11, Duran 10, Stukov 11). =o And then there are the Energy upgrades, which judging by FireGraft's EXE edit, all Heroes pull their Energy info from one source, rather than each individual energy upgrade.

Using Heroes is good for a mod's player units, whereas keeping the real units for the AI is ideal. The micro AI will not use abilities on a Hero, so if you want the AI to use any abilities, you must use the normal units that had the abilities. If you want to give your AI some advantages over a human player, like faster build time, lower costs, etc, then keeping your AI and Player units seperate is a must. Yet, if you also want upgrades, it'd be important to know which ones, if any, work on their Hero counterpart, and which ones that do not.

Anyone know whether range and attack speed upgrades are attached to the Unit or Weapon ID? I'm guessing it's Unit-based, but who knows.
Ryofsky

Postby Ryofsky » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:53 am

[quote name='bajadulce' post='5356' date='Sep 29 2008, 02:41 PM']I have spent a few minutes in regards to some of the questions you present . I will try to find time to answer/discuss more both here in this thread and wiki.[/quote]
This thread appears to be broken? :(

Sorry to be a thread necro, but thi topic is really useful and full of goodies. The AdAstras unit sheet is very interesting, but the buildings in both AAA ad PEAI are a bit confusing? I don't quite get what is happening here? I'm trying to learn modding and this mod is one of my favorites. I have lots of questions about it if that's ok?
TassadarZeratul

Postby TassadarZeratul » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:11 pm

I have heard that AI scripts don't like not having any starting minerals at their main. In my mod, minerals are built by workers, meaning that there are no starting minerals at the main. Any pointers on how to get the AI functional without being able to mine? (I'll use a plugin to give AI players free resources based on the number of workers they have.) Or, even better, does anyone know if it would be possible to get the AI to actually build minerals? (Minerals are given to P12 by a plugin. Also, minerals and town centers may not be built close together, as they are both flagged as resource containers and resource depots. [The plugin stops workers from returning resources to the mineral fields, and trying to gather from a town center does nothing.])

<3 anyone who gives advice.

Return to “StarCraft Modding”