Armageddon Onslaught

Help - Resources - AI Scripting - Grafting - Plugins - Modding Projects
IskatuMesk

Armageddon Onslaught

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:45 am

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iJ2vM9opVUg"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iJ2vM9opVUg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Version 3.0 Final released! Prepare yourself for the ultimate survival challenge against the Underworld's darkest horrors and machines of war that have scourged thousands of worlds. The gates of hell have opened once more for the final battle!

3.0 release thread @ Campaign Creations
pandut

Postby pandut » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:44 pm

This mod looks like gooey fun :P
IskatuMesk

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:57 am

Well, I could send off AoW2 units to poiuy because I can compile them, but they have no horizontal direction. So they only have 4 directions. I have a lot of graphics in the aow2 format though... even stuff from WoW that I had specially-made for me that are like 6k frames. Wouldn't mind having those in SC but then they lack horizontal directions so I don't think that'll work out too well.

As far as units... I can recall off the top of my head... probably forgot a couple

Functional, most lack details or weapon settings -

mini-horror
Thunderer
Gloom
Soul Slayer
Butcher
Ravager
Doom Chariot
Gargoyle
Pit Lord
Red Drake
Grip of Hatred
Destroyer of Hope
Oblivion
Bane
Onslaught Juggernaut
Salvation
Lord of Terror
Heretic Wizard
Greater Horror
Hand of Corruption
Madness Titan
Syrius

Ones that are semi-functional and not quite ready to be added to the AI script yet...

Damnation
Gaze of Vanity
Touch of Anguish

Ones on the distant future...

Doom Dragon
Purgatory
Demogorgon
Herald of Nightmares
Seed of Chaos
Spawn of Chaos
Spirit of Rage
Crusader
Starbase

As for spells... Well, the broodling function will be used for the Seed of Chaos to randomly kill enemies and create Spawns of Chaos. The actual spell will become Soul Well for the Soulseeker, that is like a mini TGEoT, creating a beacon that ticks down and then creates several huge concussive damage ticks. Parasite will become a concussive suppression bomb, effective against enemy worker lines. Ensnare will become Glacial Wind that does moderate amounts of damage to enemy targets and slows them. Currently, Plague is Firewall, which is much more dangerous than traditional plague. The Heretic Wizard's standard attack will also randomly cast spells such as psi storm on its target.
Ahzz

Postby Ahzz » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:46 pm

hey you know, that looks pretty damn kickass. Only one thing. Make it expand if it doesnt already. It might make it harder to beat yes, but in my opinion it also makes it that much cooler. and more realistic.

seriously though, great job, and most of all, GREAT IDEA! I like the thought of having unique units with such unique abilities around. Excellent!

I'm more than willing to test, and bring in several of my friends in to the games too. (They're all above average in skill. Some even good.)

Also, nice video. The music fits in well, and it was just nice.

Preferrably for later on, go ahead and make everything cheap to build, but no 'give_money's. Makes it suddenly much more fun. Again the importance of expansions come in.

Wow, I'm quite speechless, really. This idea is simply fabulous. To speak the truth, I always 'hated' all mod's since they screw up the game balance and I prefer starcraft over modified stuff, but if its strong, computer only, VERY UNIQUE and cool race, then WOAH, you rock.

Okay enough of this, I'm out for now. Just keep in mind that I'll always be willing to beta test it, especially the 'hard' level
Ahzz

Postby Ahzz » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:32 pm

Hey nice to see you around Ahzz. You playing much Starcraft?

indeed. Quite a bit.

You're going to need friends.. or cpu allies at the least, as this is humanly impossible 1v1. ... no, seriously I mean it even for a player of your high skill/caliber.

sure but where can I find the beta? And I said that I'd do it with friends anyway. Got some pretty good one's at SC too.

Heh, I've also been thinking of doing a completely new version of Ahzz AI, with no inexperienced coder crap amongst the scripts, and make the real deal. Just gotta actually bring myself to do it.

ah... it also seems its only working on 1.10... Also, the AI isnt finished either is it?

I'll wait when its slightly more stable. This mod will also become a lot more popular if it actually works on later patches.
IskatuMesk

Postby IskatuMesk » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:14 pm

Stability is not really a factor with this AI. It's always 100% stable. If I encounter any crashes for whatever reason they usually get fixed in under half an hour.

Make it expand if it doesnt already. It might make it harder to beat yes, but in my opinion it also makes it that much cooler. and more realistic.

Yeah, I intend to make them expand. I want them to cover the map in lava or at least give the impression that they are spreading.

seriously though, great job, and most of all, GREAT IDEA! I like the thought of having unique units with such unique abilities around. Excellent!

Almost all of the units have a random chance-on-attack to do something crazy. For example, the Shards of Darkness have a 3x crit chance, and they are the basic "zergling" replacement.

I'm more than willing to test, and bring in several of my friends in to the games too. (They're all above average in skill. Some even good.)

Wonderful. When I get all of the units in, fine tune all of the effects, and then start fine tuning the balance, I know who to call. If you want to give it a few dry runs just to see how absurd it is right now (there's no way 7 players could beat it right now unless they hardcore cheated somehow), then I can upload you a test version.

This mod is definitely not your normal everyday mod! Very very unique. Maybe Iskatu or myself can find time to post links to additional video. He has made some new ones that are quite dazzling compared to that Youtube in first post. I think a gosu player such as yourself, might just accept this mod.

This AI takes cheating to the next level. There will be 3 difficulties in the end;

Legendary - designed to challenge 3-4 good players. Slow timings, slow tier ascension, very moderately played until the Onslaught state. I probably won't allow it to get Game Enders (Starbase and Crusader) because they would be too strong for 4 players to take down. Economy is a factor for the AI.

Heoric - Standard difficulty. This is the difficulty I am building the AI on. It ascends tiers fairly rapidly, reaching t7 around half an hour or so. This will challenge and usually kill 7 very good players. You need to work as a team and work good. You'll usually only get one shot at destroying the AI. make it count. Enters Onslaught state after hitting t7, where it will sweep across the map in an unstoppable tide of destruction.

Merciless - This is the hard difficulty. I can guarantee that unless the AI encounters some catastrophic internal error and stops building, which can and does happen, it will never be beatable. Ever. It will instantly enter Onslaught state. That is when it will build several hundred units in about a minute and steamroll the map.

ah... it also seems its only working on 1.10... Also, the AI isnt finished either is it?

If I was to make a guess, right now I'm at...

90% AI functionality - the actual AI script itself is virtually done and I can modify it in seconds to add in more units.
40% unit completion - Many units are in and functional but not balanced or properly configured. Many lack effects, special attack settings, ect. For example, I still need to do the Doom Chariot's bouncing plasma vortex.
5% campaign completion - I'm going to make a very light-hearted simple campaign for AO when I my bipolar is too much to focus on unit editing.

Here's some videos.

http://www.staff.samods.org/iskatumesk/doack2.avi - Some t5-6 unit demonstrations. Older video. Titans ect do more damage now. (Youtube version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP2ulQTv9x8...watch_response)

http://www.staff.samods.org/iskatumesk/AOalphapreviewb.avi - Alpha gameplay video. Comparable to the current state of the mod. A fair bit has been added and fixed since this footage was taken.

Old gameplay videos with Ricky if you got lots of time to burn.

AO - RickyRicky - Video 1
http://www.staff.samods.org/iskatumesk/ ... 1part1.avi
I join the local frenchman, Ricky_Honejasi, on an inane and cuss-filled adventure in AO. It might be a bit hard to hear him, but whatever. Fun fact - when I said I was checking if it was recording, I turned off the recording, but growler somehow tied the two files together. *shrug*

Juggernauts are bad news if they get near your tanks when you can't pull them away.

Don't try to mass carriers and solo AO. It won't work. Demonstration included in this game.

I think HKS also rants a bit during this. It's hard to hear him.

AO - RickyRicky - Video 2
http://www.staff.samods.org/iskatumesk/ ... 2part1.avi <-- part 1
http://www.staff.samods.org/iskatumesk/ ... 2part2.avi <-- part 2

I join the local frenchman, Ricky_Honejasi, on a second inane and cuss-filled adventure in AO. HKS joins us in vent and he's actually harder to hear than ricky but we're talking about WoW (which I stopped playing ages ago thank god) and how all of the players are retards. I think, "Oh, my triple-wall-extreme will slow down AO a little bit!" Hah.

Growler randomly stops recording and refuses to record anymore until I alt tab and then try again. That is why there is a itty bitty part 2 video, near the end of the game. Fun fact - the second video is 42 seconds long! Fun fact 2 - growler killed the end of the 42 second video as well so you miss the very end of the game which consists of all my shit getting shot.

Also btw -

I opted to cannibalize the entire zerg race for the computer so I had more sprites to work with and so I could expand Armageddon much further. However, I also intend to convert human zerg players into observer slots through global triggering somehow.

Wish you could add .dat entries. I would never have needed to cannibalize zerg if some of the programs that were supposed to get done actually got done.

edit - Also, it will only ever work with 1.10. I'm not concerned about popularity. I'm just fulfilling my goal from 8 years ago when I started AI modding.

The limit expander won't work on later versions anyway, and later versions have caused game-breaking iscript issues.

also, one of the units not shown in the videos.

Those projectiles are now white, too. They leave perpetual explosions that deal damage to any enemies who stand inside them. Very dangerous against walls, slow units, and chokes.
Ahzz

Postby Ahzz » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:54 pm

well I guess that's fine since you can use hamachi, but... What about easily switching back and forth in the patches? I'm an active battle.net user and so are my friends, and if actually even testing this becomes too difficult we're gonna lose our interest quickly. Hamachi might already cause some minor complications, but add in difficulty in using an older patch and it gets annoying. well yah. If there's a simple method to do so, then I'm quite glad.

At least atm I'd like to save the real stuff for a more stable, cooler version. This way the interest of my buddies will remain too...

but on a second thought... Please send me download link now, on a PM or something if you dont want this spreading up too much yet.
Also, someone please tell me a way for easily switching back and forth on older/newer patches.

That's all I need, thanks.
Ahzz

Postby Ahzz » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:27 pm

also, would it be easy to implement our own AI's instead of using blizzard comps? It suddenly becomes a whole lot easier when you can have decent partners without other humans.

Return to “StarCraft Modding”