AI on defense

Help - Resources - AI Scripting - Grafting - Plugins - Modding Projects
Dreadkillz

AI on defense

Postby Dreadkillz » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:29 pm

If I dont use defensebuild or defenseuse, will the AI use all their available units to defend? I dont mean that units of the immediate area will respond. Say I attack the AI's expansion, will the AI send all their units from its main and expos to defend it, or will it just use the units it have in the vicinity of the expo?
lifestyl3

Postby lifestyl3 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:36 am

I'm actually a bit unclear on these myself. Could someone give a moderately detailed explaination of how these work?

I'm pretty sure that if you don't call defenseuse, the computer will not use that unit to defend unless it is very close by. I'm not really sure when or how to use defenseuse and defensebuild though.
Dreadkillz

Postby Dreadkillz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:23 am

From the way you explained it, it seems that using defensebuild before attack_add would be better than train because it would allow the AI to use them defensely until it has enough to attack.
lifestyl3

Postby lifestyl3 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:19 pm

So could I just put all of my defenseuse commands at the beginning of my scripts along with all the define_max commands?
EasyChat

Postby EasyChat » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:07 am

Hmmm... i was unclear on these too.. And these commands in my TvP may be messing things up a bit.. i will doo some tweaking some day soon.
Scourge_Splitter

Postby Scourge_Splitter » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:22 am

good to know, I've also not been very clear on that myself...
It seems from what I have observed that not using defenseuse will cause units not to assist a site under attack thats more as what.... 10 block away?
(I'm then counting those blocks from the staredit grid..)
I'm now playing with it a little bit because It got disturbing that they just "let" their expansions get destroyed even though they had massive forces at main.
Scourge_Splitter

Postby Scourge_Splitter » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:33 am

one thing I'm yet unsure about by the way...
Since I've seen blizzard only using byte 1 in the sequence I've allways just kept it like that but what happens when you use 2 or 5 as byte value?

what I want to achieve is...
using 1 defenseuse_... for all present units of that type in the beginning to defend themselves (incl bases) throughout the script)

since I have to go now I'm not yet able to test this out aand would be nice if I then can find an answer when I get back :D
thnx allready

Return to “StarCraft Modding”