Help with getting started

https://github.com/bwapi/bwapi
maru_devera

Help with getting started

Postby maru_devera » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:00 pm

I'm new to bwapi and I can't seem to get past the first step, which is compile the helloworld project

at first i used my Eclipse C++ compiler and simply imported the .cpp files but all that got me was a lot of errors.
Next i tried with a Visual C++ 2010 Express but still it wouldn't build...

I double checked the files in the windows folder to be copied in my windows folder...
I also made sure that a system path exists to my windows folder.

did i miss something vital or did i do anything wrong?

I followed the steps in the readme file properly and i checked it multiple times to be sure...
I'm really stumped and i have no idea if i'm doing anything wrong...

Please provide me with guidance
thank you in advance
lowerlogic

Postby lowerlogic » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:56 am

BWAPI binaries are compiled with Visual Studio 2008 SP1, and different versions of Visual Studio aren't backwards compatible, so you'll either need to change Visual Studio 2010 so that it compiles as if it were Visual Studio 2008 SP1 or just use Visual Studio 2008 SP1 (or Visual Studio 2008 Express - http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/e ... ns/express ). At some point we tried to update to VS 2010 but one of BWTA's dependencies couldn't be built in 2010 at the time so we stayed with VS 2008. Seeing how its halfway though 2011, its possible that those projects have finally updated to VS 2010 so I guess its time I try and get everything working in VS 2010, though changing things around and then getting CGAL, Qt, Boost, BWTA, and BWAPI to all work together again is easily a full-day event.

Return to “BWAPI (wrappers in other languages / questions and announcements related to BWAPI itself)”