Disable pathfinding and auto-attack

https://github.com/bwapi/bwapi
krmenadla

Disable pathfinding and auto-attack

Postby krmenadla » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:50 am

Two BWAPI questions:

1) How can I disable Broodwar's pathfinding in BWAPI?
I want to order unit to just go in straight line to the destination and stop in case it hits an obstacle.

2) How can prevent my units from auto attacking enemy units?
Heinermann

Postby Heinermann » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:45 pm

1) Not going to happen. This is an AI function that you need to program.
2) This is another AI-Only function. Starcraft's behaviour is to automatically attack enemy units, and that's it.

We're not going to change the behaviour of Starcraft and ignore the game's behaviour which maintains synchronization between network clients.
jimrandomh

Postby jimrandomh » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:25 pm

(2) would have significant game balance implications. Suppose you control a tank, and your enemy has one zergling out in front of a cluster of hydralisks, advancing from outside the tank's range. If you could stop the tank from firing, you could hit the hydralisks; but a human is forced to waste the tank's first shot on the zergling cannon fodder, because it's the first thing to enter range.
Equalizer

Postby Equalizer » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:28 pm

1.) I would assume that using BWTA it would be possible to have the AI issue move commands betweeen only locations that do not have an obstruction so the inbuilt auto pathing would never act.

2.) A person can prevent units from auto attacking by keeping them moving since they wont attack while moving. I assume this could be done similarly with the AI commands.
lowerlogic

Postby lowerlogic » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:45 pm

Like the rest of BWTA, BWTA's shortest path functions only work on static map data.

Return to “BWAPI (wrappers in other languages / questions and announcements related to BWAPI itself)”