Game Lobby Names for "Join by name"

https://github.com/bwapi/bwapi
DaveChurchill

Game Lobby Names for "Join by name"

Postby DaveChurchill » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:28 pm

Hey Guys,

One of the issues with this year's tournament was the fact that while we can JOIN a game by name, we have to CREATE a game with the name of the bot. The issue with this is that in order to give a game a unique name to be found by a client who wishes to join it, we have to give the player name something unique as well.

Because of this, next year I will implement something like the following:

We will append "_GAMEID" to each of the bot names in each game being played. This way, we can have unique game names which can utilize the "join by name" feature. Also, since this will be announced well in advance, players can still take advantage of file I/O by realizing that the name of the bot they're playing against is simply everything before the first underscore in enemy()->getName().

If someone has a better idea though, I'm open to suggestions.
Kae

Postby Kae » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Sound great! I have nothing more clever to propose so far.
BTW Dave, do you know why the IO system was off for CIG?
DaveChurchill

Postby DaveChurchill » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:27 am

[quote name='Kae' date='22 September 2012 - 09:30 AM' timestamp='1348335020' post='11146']
Sound great! I have nothing more clever to propose so far.
BTW Dave, do you know why the IO system was off for CIG?
[/quote]

The IO system requires some sort of shared file server to read / write from, since games are played on multiple machines. They didn't have that capability.

Return to “BWAPI (wrappers in other languages / questions and announcements related to BWAPI itself)”