2012 AIIDE replay packs

https://github.com/bwapi/bwapi
krasi0

Postby krasi0 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:17 pm

I am starting to view some of the reps. Any good found so far?
krasi0

Postby krasi0 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:10 pm

The longer games from Skynet's pack seem interesting. Both Terran bots play very ambitiously. In 7536 Xelnaga manages to win :)
abcdefg

Postby abcdefg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:46 pm

I was running ualbertabot and it looks impressive it has dynamic build orders it recalculates on the fly and does some kind of simulation on whether it can win or not which seems to be kind of accurate. Here is its big flaw that dooms it as I saw it figuring success and failure over and over again when a few marines were near a bunker.
It constantly retreats and then attacks and never ends up doing anything while it loses its units for no reason. Also it still doesnt gather all its zealots together before attacking but sends them in to suicide one or two at a time. I think if it just engaged better and made a more definite decision it would have done much better just from what I noticed in a game or two.
Im surprised though skynet won so easily again it seems a few other bots could challenge it especially being able to record its tactics from game to game.
Taranok

Postby Taranok » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:58 am

7547 (skynet vs aiur) is incomplete unless there's some rule i'm not aware about.

I was kinda disappointed in the UAlbertaBot vs versus Skynet games where UAlbertaBot just overreacted to a scouting probe.

I don't think AIUR ever scouts.

Are there any bots that harass?
krasi0

Postby krasi0 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:51 am

Even though Skynet's BO is kinda known beforehand (apart from some randomizations and adapting to opponent) it's really executed almost perfectly and this makes it hard to counter, especially in TvP bot games. One way would be to trap its army in a narrow chokepoint and kill it from high ground or maybe constant harass to its expansions both of which are very difficult to program in code.
I, too, noticed the so called overreaction of UAlberta's probe defense. It was like an immune system going crazy to a single enemy scouting worker.
abcdefg

Postby abcdefg » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:40 am

Terran bots generally lose because terran is very position dependent they need good engagements and smart positioning on important space control units such as siege tanks. Terran is not an easy race to play against protoss because without good spider mines and tank usage your toast.
I guess skynet did not even need the power of 3.0 to win this one. Skynet plays well but it has some weaknesses you could exploit if you just wanted some cheap wins. I think a terran bot that simply put a bunker at the base of the enemy ramp asap and repaired with scvs while fortifying with tanks and turrets could probably win every game. I dont think any of the bots could break a contain even a poorly executed one since most probably dont factor scv repair into the battles like how overmind didnt.
krasi0

Postby krasi0 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:48 am

Well, if you try to contain with a Terran bunker any of the top Protoss bots, they just have a lot of units made early and break easily out of the contain.
abcdefg

Postby abcdefg » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:23 pm

Yeah maybe your right but I did it against skynet once and it seemed pretty easy and Im not the best of players either. Just seems like it would work given how hard it is to judge whether you can break it or not without donating units. Scv repairs on bunkers and siege tanks probably are not accounted for.
krasi0

Postby krasi0 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:34 pm

BTW does anyone here know which of the bots don't use I/O so I add them to the ladder?

Return to “BWAPI (wrappers in other languages / questions and announcements related to BWAPI itself)”