BWAPI bot matches 24 / 7

Anything related on how to build / improve your AI using BWAPI, BWTA, BWSAL, etc.
modmaster50

Postby modmaster50 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:17 pm

Id like to try playing against some of these bots. Are the binaries available anywhere for post-AIIDE2011 versions of these bots, or would I have to try to compile them manually?

EDIT: Tried to compile some bot sources downloaded from svn, but couldn't figure it out. Setting up the proper libraries is beyond my minimal programming knowledge.
krasi0

Postby krasi0 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:59 am

If you are not able to compile a specific bot, please post a separate topic or contact its author.
You could also join the #BWAPI chan on Freenode where to discuss the issues.
As to post-AIIDE 2011 versions I am not sure if there are many of them available.
[quote name='modmaster50' date='22 April 2012 - 12:17 AM' timestamp='1335046660' post='10879']
Id like to try playing against some of these bots. Are the binaries available anywhere for post-AIIDE2011 versions of these bots, or would I have to try to compile them manually?

EDIT: Tried to compile some bot sources downloaded from svn, but couldn't figure it out. Setting up the proper libraries is beyond my minimal programming knowledge.
[/quote]
modmaster50

Postby modmaster50 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:41 am

[quote name='krasi0' date='21 April 2012 - 11:59 PM' timestamp='1335077967' post='10880']
If you are not able to compile a specific bot, please post a separate topic or contact its author.
As to post-AIIDE 2011 versions I am not sure if there are many of them available.
[quote name='modmaster50' date='22 April 2012 - 12:17 AM' timestamp='1335046660' post='10879']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Some bots have versions newer than AIIDE2011 listed (Skynet, Aiur, UAlbertaBot, BroodwarBotQ), so I was wondering if there was any way to get the relevant binaries, as all of the ones Ive been able to find online are outdated. Anyhow, I figured out how to properly compile Aiur and Skynet.
abcdefg

Postby abcdefg » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:53 am

[quote name='modmaster50' date='22 April 2012 - 12:41 AM' timestamp='1335084075' post='10881']
[quote name='krasi0' date='21 April 2012 - 11:59 PM' timestamp='1335077967' post='10880']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Some bots have versions newer than AIIDE2011 listed (Skynet, Aiur, UAlbertaBot, BroodwarBotQ), so I was wondering if there was any way to get the relevant binaries, as all of the ones Ive been able to find online are outdated. Anyhow, I figured out how to properly compile Aiur and Skynet.
[/quote]

Yeah I wondered about getting the newest versions of these bots too. I think I gave up trying to compile skynet after some linker errors. I just wanted to play some brood war against skynet and ualberta since it looks like they are far ahead of everyone else.
I think its obvious right now that protoss is a lot easier then terran and zerg for bots. Terran needs good positioning with siege tanks and spider mines to win, and zerg is tough trying to balance drones/army.
krasi0

Postby krasi0 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:57 am

Added Dreadbot v2 to the ladder.
krasi0

Postby krasi0 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Replays of more than 20k bot vs bot games from the ladder:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0DevQ ... Fd3WFpMSXM
Kae

Postby Kae » Mon May 14, 2012 4:14 am

Hey krasi0, one question for you: I am about to send you a new version of AIUR, less efficient than I though at the beginning, but actually it would not be the very last version of AIUR since I would like to keep some stuff for AIIDE and CIG. I would like to know if your are running bots in accelerate (/speed 0), since it seems AIUR is acting differently (and worth) in high speed.

Also, do you think I should send you a BWAPI 4 version of AIUR (since BWAPI 4 is comming soon), or you don't care?

Finally, a third question: AIIDE and CIG competitions will allow bots to write data to a file, in order to remember pieces of information on opponents game after game. Do you think this feature possible on your ladder?
krasi0

Postby krasi0 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:56 pm

yeah, I run the bots with /speed 0 and CPU throtling disabled. From what I know and believe it shouldn't matter if the bot is run with /speed 0 or not. It may depend on the command optimization level though. We should ask Heinermann to confirm.
For now I only support BWAPI up to 3.7.x but when more BWAPI 4 bots appear I might run them too.
Yes, the feature is completely possible in my ladder. Just make sure the bot uses a folder that has some unique name, e.h. Auir_v_2_5. The stored files will only be per virtual machine though as the bots are run on many VMs (currently 8 in total).

[quote name='Kae' date='14 May 2012 - 06:14 AM' timestamp='1336968897' post='10904']
Hey krasi0, one question for you: I am about to send you a new version of AIUR, less efficient than I though at the beginning, but actually it would not be the very last version of AIUR since I would like to keep some stuff for AIIDE and CIG. I would like to know if your are running bots in accelerate (/speed 0), since it seems AIUR is acting differently (and worth) in high speed.

Also, do you think I should send you a BWAPI 4 version of AIUR (since BWAPI 4 is comming soon), or you don't care?

Finally, a third question: AIIDE and CIG competitions will allow bots to write data to a file, in order to remember pieces of information on opponents game after game. Do you think this feature possible on your ladder?
[/quote]
Heinermann

Postby Heinermann » Mon May 14, 2012 10:11 pm

If you want the matches to be much faster you can use /nogui or /fs # (but nogui also disables BWAPI drawing calls).
Starcraft actually has an infinite graphical frame rate. It spends X milliseconds continuously drawing the frame before re-entering the main game loop (on fastest X is 42). In the case where X is 0 (in BWAPI), then it will still draw graphical frames for every logical frame.

The only game logic that actually changes with /speed 0 is Use Map Settings triggers and possibly the built-in computer AI. (So Use Map Settings maps using waits will cause bugs, you can test it out by playing the first protoss expansion campaign mission on /speed 0). This will be partially fixed in the next release.

BWAPI4 might come a bit later than I expected, and the tournaments this year will be using 3.7.x for sure. BWAPI4 will be used next year (but released this year, either end of May or June), so I can spend a lot of time polishing it and adding as many features that makes the interface easier to use.

Because of the drastic changes I've made in BWAPI4, I will label it as a Beta. With BWAPI4 I want to create new example modules that don't rely on BWTA or BWSAL as well as examples, how-to's, and possibly a video tutorial or two.
Kae

Postby Kae » Tue May 15, 2012 5:13 am

Hi guys,

[quote name='krasi0' date='14 May 2012 - 11:56 PM' timestamp='1337007375' post='10905']
yeah, I run the bots with /speed 0 and CPU throtling disabled. From what I know and believe it shouldn't matter if the bot is run with /speed 0 or not. It may depend on the command optimization level though. We should ask Heinermann to confirm.
For now I only support BWAPI up to 3.7.x but when more BWAPI 4 bots appear I might run them too.
Yes, the feature is completely possible in my ladder. Just make sure the bot uses a folder that has some unique name, e.h. Auir_v_2_5. The stored files will only be per virtual machine though as the bots are run on many VMs (currently 8 in total).
[/quote]

I do not set any specific command optimization level, should I? I though it has an impact to make replays, not for the game itself.
I still have some tests to do, and then I send you a new version of AIUR using BWAPI r4025. If I am quick, I send it to you this week-end, otherwise in 2/3 weeks or so, since I should travel a lot soon.

[quote name='Heinermann' date='15 May 2012 - 07:11 AM' timestamp='1337033468' post='10906']
If you want the matches to be much faster you can use /nogui or /fs # (but nogui also disables BWAPI drawing calls).
Starcraft actually has an infinite graphical frame rate. It spends X milliseconds continuously drawing the frame before re-entering the main game loop (on fastest X is 42). In the case where X is 0 (in BWAPI), then it will still draw graphical frames for every logical frame.

The only game logic that actually changes with /speed 0 is Use Map Settings triggers and possibly the built-in computer AI. (So Use Map Settings maps using waits will cause bugs, you can test it out by playing the first protoss expansion campaign mission on /speed 0). This will be partially fixed in the next release.

BWAPI4 might come a bit later than I expected, and the tournaments this year will be using 3.7.x for sure. BWAPI4 will be used next year (but released this year, either end of May or June), so I can spend a lot of time polishing it and adding as many features that makes the interface easier to use.

Because of the drastic changes I've made in BWAPI4, I will label it as a Beta. With BWAPI4 I want to create new example modules that don't rely on BWTA or BWSAL as well as examples, how-to's, and possibly a video tutorial or two.
[/quote]

I didn't know this /nogui command, that's nice. Ok for BWAPi 4, when I will integrate it to AIUR, I would take this opportunity to deeply improve the code. At the moment, there are some really ugly parts. :-/

Return to “AI development (BWAPI Bots)”